Monday, November 24, 2008

Tiller Tribute


Joe Tiller will long be remembered as the winningest coach in Purdue's history. He led the Boilermakers to the Rose Bowl and several other bowl games during his career at Purdue. In his final game, Purdue beat IU 62-10 for the Old Oaken Bucket. I remember talking to the coach on several occasions. He was very down to earth, and quite honestly funny. He had a wonderful sense of humor.


We will miss Joe, along with his wife Arnette. I enjoyed getting to know her, as she spearheaded an annual food drive at Ross Ade stadium. During one noon interview I told her how much my son Brett enjoyed going to the games, but didn't watch much football. At the age of 6 he was more entertained by Purdue Pete. Days later, Arnette sent an email mysteriously asking where Brett and I would be sitting during the game. Then, during the game, Purdue Pete came up into the stands to meet Brett. Thanks for the wonderful memories!