Monday, July 23, 2007

Cancer

Our hearts go out to the family of former Lafayette Mayor Jim Riehle. He died of cancer Monday. Riehle served our community for 24 years as mayor. His accomplishments include railroad relocation and the depot plaza (that now bears his name). As a reporter, I enjoyed working with the mayor. He had an open-door policy and was willing to put up with endless questions on a variety of subjects. He would always compare bowling scores with me and would smile regardless of his pin count. And of course, he was a die-hard Cubs fan.

This news comes at a time when I am dealing with cancer in my own family. I thought I would share with you why I have not been on the air much lately. My mother fell ill and we recently discovered it was pancreatic cancer. We are still learning a lot about the disease and her options. I appreciate everyone's support and prayers through this difficult time.
Anyone who has been through something similar can understand what my family is going through. Thanks for understanding!
The American Cancer Society has been a wonderful resource during this time. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp