Thursday, July 12, 2007

Clinton County 4-H Fair

I had a great time Wednesday at the Clinton County 4-H fair. It was swine day. I really enjoyed interviewing some of the 4-H members and meeting a lot of faithful viewers. Several people mentioned how much they appreciate our week-long coverage of the fair in Frankfort. We enjoy it too. My trip was not complete without a corn dog and lemonade shake-up.

I grew up on a small farm in Illinois where we raised Herford cattle. So I don't claim to know a lot about swine. We did have one. I was only about 8 years old when we got 'Arnold.' We played with Arnold and fed him treats from the bread store. I remember a few years later when the whole family loaded up in the truck to take the pig to the meat processing place. The man who was unloading the livestock heard us call the pig by his name. It really didn't dawn on us what would happen to Arnold, until we returned about two weeks later. The man who helped us before greeted us with, "Here is Arnold--in two boxes!" We were mortified and didn't eat pork for weeks.