Monday, August 11, 2008

UNICOM reunion




Those were the days.....




I enjoyed walking down memory lane this weekend with some friends from Western Illinois University. Students in UNICOM, the student television broadcasting program, held a reunion on campus. We toured the building that once housed our classes, production facilities and studio.




I started out as a sports anchor my sophomore year. I admit I knew nothing about golf back then. In fact, I changed some scores because I couldn't believe a 51 beat a 54! My junior and senior year, I had the opportunity to anchor a half hour weekly newscast. That was back in the days when we typed our scripts on typewriters and presented the news in front of a black curtain.




WIU now has awesome broadcasting facilities. They have a teleprompter, a nice looking news desk, an area for sports and weather, and the latest technology.




I was also impressed with new radio stations. But I couldn't find an album or a turntable......