Friday, February 8, 2008

End of the Trail for CHAPS



I was sorry to have to report today the end of the CHAPS program. The Purdue program was housed at Camp Tecumseh and provided horseback riding therapy to dozens of children with emotional and physical disabilities. I spoke with CHAPS advisory board president Mark Russell. He told me the program was just no longer viable until Purdue builds its own facility close to the West Lafayette campus. He said it was difficult to get volunteers and staff to keep the program going at Camp Tecumseh, a 20 to 25 minute drive. He also said the program was starting to compete for pasture and arena space with the camp's equestrian program.
My heart goes out to the children who were served by this program. They got so much joy and confidence out of the therapy, as well as made great friendships with their equine partners. I am hoping once more people hear about the program ending, someone or a group of people will step up and help Purdue find the money needed to build the animal education center. Russell said there are 28 accredited centers in Indiana. Unfortunately they are not local. He said the closest one is near Indianapolis.
My friends and I at the Battle Ground Saddle Club have participated in the CHAPS ride-a-thon for years. We'll certainly miss it!