Tuesday, January 1, 2008

In Loving Memory

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers through this difficult time. My mom, Barbara Scott, passed away Saturday after a six month battle with Pancreatic Cancer. I need to be with my family, so you won't see me on the air for awhile. Thank you to my News Director Chris Morisse, Co-anchor Jeff Smith, and others for stepping up their efforts while I'm gone. Thank you--you are my second family.

My mom was a hard-working farmer's wife, who could drive a tractor and bake the best apple pie. She also claimed she could fix anything with duct tape and WD 40.

One of the most difficult things I've had to do was to tell my 7 year old son that his Grandma (who he adores) had died. Later that day, I tried to explain why my sister and I needed to leave to make the arrangements. He said he knew what a funeral was. "That is where you go and tell someone good bye," said Brett. Then, as I was ready to leave, Brett said, "Tell Grandma Scott I said Hi." My jaw dropped and my heart sank. I responded, "Grandma Scott is dead. She can't hear us." My son leaned close to me and whispered, "Mom, angels can hear you all the time."