Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Never Forget


Do you remember where you were six years ago? Many us will never forget what we were doing when we heard the news of the terrorist attacks. Brett was just a baby. I was at home with him and didn't even have the television on. But once someone called to tell me about the plane crashing into the World Trade Center, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I will never forget the images of that day, including the black smoke billowing against the clear blue sky of New York City.
I went to work shortly after that. The day was a blur. New information was coming in fast. We were giving updates on local candlelight vigils, blood drives, and other events. I remember a couple days later standing out with firefighters collecting money for the Red Cross. Everyone was very generous.
There is a 9/11 memorial ceremony at 7:00p.m. tonight at Tecumseh Junior High School in Lafayette. More than 500 flags are placed in the school yard as a tribute to all those who lost their lives that day and in the war on terrorism. That includes eight local service. The flags will remain up through September 22nd and are available for purchase from the Business Masters Exchange Club.